- We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Back Pain Treatment in Bettendorf
Back pain can make engaging in ordinary physical activity like professional work and household chores very difficult. Over time, chronic back pain can even decrease your quality of life. If you suffer from back pain, whether it's chronic pain or the result of a recent injury, chiropractic care can help. Chiropractors use a variety of gentle, medication-free, non-invasive techniques to help patients recover from their back injuries and get over their back pain.
Types of Back Pain
There are many different types of back pain. The type of back pain you experience will depend on its cause.
- Upper. Upper back pain is a common problem for people who work in poor ergonomic conditions. Upper back pain in the area around the shoulders and neck can be indicative of muscle strain. Upper back pain may also occur because of whiplash, a condition wherein the ligaments and muscles in the neck develop tiny tears. When this happens, the muscles in the back become tight and the patient may experience limited mobility.
- Middle. Middle back pain occurs because of injury, a herniated disc, subluxations, stress and muscle strain. People experience middle back pain after hard physical labor and performing repetitive tasks.
- Lower. Lower back pain may occur because of poor lifting and twisting techniques, sciatica and because of strain on the musculoskeletal system from obesity.
Causes of Back Pain
Patients who understand the cause of their back pain may be able to prevent it. Some of the most common causes of back pain include:
- Poor posture or form. Poor posture puts strain on the vertebrae, resulting in pain and injury. Over time, poor posture can affect the curve of the spine, leading to long-term damage.
- Ergonomics and career. Poor ergonomics at work can cause a life of chronic pain if it's not addressed.
- Active lifestyle. An active lifestyle can lead to pain if the patient does not warm up and warm down after being physically active.
- Bulging disc. A bulging disc can put pressure on the spinal cord, leading to pain, tingling and numbness.
- Muscle strain. Muscle strain is a common problem for patients who exercise regularly.
Treating Back Pain with Chiropractic Care
The primary method that chiropractors use to treat back pain is spinal adjustment. Spinal adjustment is a method of realigning the spine to improve communication between the brain and the rest of the body and improve the overall efficiency of the body. Whether your back pain is occurring because of an injury that has not healed properly, because of a chronic condition or because of lifestyle choices, a spinal adjustment can help alleviate this pain.
Spinal adjustment is only one of the techniques we use. Some of our other techniques include:
- Massage therapy. We use massage therapy to improve circulation and help old injuries heal.
- Stretches and exercises. Stretches and exercises are important for improving mobility and range of motion.
- Lifestyle advice. We teach patients to make small lifestyle changes that can lead to reduced pain.
As your Bettendorf chiropractor, Absolute Balance Chiropractic uses all natural, gentle chiropractic techniques to alleviate pressure on the spinal cord and reduce back pain. Come in today for an assessment and diagnosis. We'll start with a consultation and then perform a physical examination.
Once we understand why your back hurts, we can help you make changes to your lifestyle and use targeted chiropractic techniques to reduce the pain. To get started, call us today at (563) 332-6036 to make an appointment.